[Par-reg] Parshat Vayishlach - shiur #2

Menachem Leibtag tsc at bezeqint.net
Wed Dec 14 16:08:21 EST 2005

Dedicated in commemoration of the yarhzeit of
 Reuven Ben Moshe A"H - 17 Kislev 5757.

     THE TANACH STUDY CENTER [http://www.tanach.org]
          In Memory of Rabbi Abraham Leibtag
     Shiurim in Chumash & Navi by Menachem Leibtag

          for PARSHAT  VAYISHLACH -

        FROM YAAKOV TO YISRAEL - part two

     There must be something important about names in Parshat
Vayishlach, for we find that Yaakov's name is changed to
Yisrael; and it happens twice!
     In the following shiur, we attempt to understand why, by
considering its connection to the theme of 'bechira' in Sefer
Breishit.

INTRODUCTION
     Yaakov's name change to Yisrael is very different than
Avram's name change to Avraham.  In regard to AvraHAm - a
single letter ["heh"] is added to his existing name (see 17:1-
5); in contrast - Yisrael  constitutes an entirely new name.
Furthermore, Yisrael serves as an alternate name for Yaakov,
while the name Avraham serves as a replacement.
     What is even more peculiar about Yaakov's name change -
is that it happens twice:
  Once, in the aftermath of his struggle at Pni'el, prior to
  his confrontation with Eisav (see 32:24-30);
     And later, at God's revelation to him at Bet El (see
35:9-13).

  With this in mind, we begin our study with a comparison of
those two stories; afterward, we will discuss why Yaakov's
name change is both similar and different than Avraham's.

YAAKOV'S RETURN TO BET EL
  Let's begin our discussion with the second time when
Yaakov's name is changed to Yisrael; for it contains some
rather obvious textual parallels to the key psukim that
describe how Avraham Avinu was first chosen.  Those parallels
will help us understand how his name change relates to a key
stage in the bechira process.  Our  conclusions will then help
us appreciate the meaning of the first time Yaakov's name in
changed, i.e. the site of Pni'el.

     Yaakov's return to Bet El, as described in 35:9-15, could
be considered as the prophetic 'highlight' of his return to
Eretz Canaan.  Recall that this it was at this very site where
God first appeared to him, promising him that he was indeed
the 'chosen' son (see 28:12-14).  Furthermore, it was at Bet-
El where God had promised to look after his needs during his
journey to (and stay in) Charan.
  [Recall as well from our shiur on Parshat Lech Lecha that
  Bet El was also the focal point of Avraham's 'aliya', where
  he built a mizbeiach and 'called out in God's Name'.]

     Let's take a look at the Torah's description of this
'hitgalut', noting how God not only confirms Yaakov's bechira
but also changes his name to Yisrael:
  "And God appeared again to Yaakov on his arrival from Padan
  Aram, and blessed him: You, whose name is Yaakov, shall be
  called Yaakov no more, but Yisrael shall be your name.
    Thus He named him Yisrael, and God said to him: I am Kel
  Shakai, be fertile and increase... The land that I have
  given to Avraham and Yitzchak I give to you and to your
  offspring to come...   (35:9-16).

     God's confirmation of 'zera' [offspring] and 'aretz' (the
Land) echoes His numerous earlier blessings of'bechira to
Avraham and Yitzchak.  [See 12:1-7, 13:14-16, 15:18, 17:7-8,
26:1-5, 28:13.]  In fact, these seem to be the key two words
in just about every higtalut when God discuss any aspect of
the 'bechira' process with the avot.
  However, this particular blessing carries additional
significance, for it is the last time that we find it in Sefer
Breishit, thus suggesting that the bechira process has finally
come to an end!
     Therefore, the fact that this blessing also includes
Yaakov's name change to Yisrael suggests a thematic connection
between this name change and the conclusion of the bechira
process!
     If indeed the 'filtering' stage of the bechira process is
finally over, then this name change reflects the fact that now
all of Yaakov's children (and grandchildren etc.) are chosen.
  [In contrast to the children of Avraham and Yitzchak, where
  only one child was chosen.]

  In other words, from this point onward, all the children of
Yaakov will become the nation of Israel- and hence the name
change to Yisrael.
     With this in mind, let's discuss the incident at Peniel,
when his name is first changed to Yisrael - to appreciate the
thematic significance of specifically this name - i.e.
Yisrael.

THE EVENTS BEFORE THE STRUGGLE
     Even though the Torah only tells us that a 'man' ['ish']
struggles with Yaakov at Peniel (see 32:25), the continuation
of this story [when this 'man' blesses Yaakov etc / see 32:26-
30)] certainly supports the Midrashic interpretation that he
was the 'angelic minister of Eisav' - intentionally sent by
God to confront Yaakov.
  [Note that the Hebrew word ish is often used to describe an
  important and/or powerful man, and not only the male gender
  / see Shmot 2:12 & Bamidbar 13:3.]

  But why would God send this ish at this critical time?
  To appreciate why, we must consider the events in the life
of Yaakov that lead up to this final 'showdown' with Eisav.
     1.  Yaakov, using 'trickery', buys the 'bechora' from
Eisav.
     2. Yitzchak plans to bless Eisav with prosperity and
power;.
          using 'trickery', Yaakov 'steals' that blessing..
     3. Yaakov must 'run away' to Padan Aram (in fear of
Eisav).
     4. Yaakov spends twenty years with Lavan;
    often suffering from Lavan's 'trickiness'.
     5. Yaakov 'runs away' from Padan Aram (in fear of Lavan).
     6. Yaakov prepares for his confrontation with Eisav.
          [Note how he plans a total subjugation to his
brother.]
     7. God sends an ish to confront Yaakov.

     While reviewing this progression, note how Yaakov's life
was replete with a need to either employ trickery or 'run
away' in order to either survive, or to attain what he felt
was necessary (to become the 'chosen son').  Indeed, Yaakov
had become an expert at survival; but appears to have lacked
experience in 'frontal combat' - a trait that Eisav was best
at.
     As we explained in our shiur on Parshat Toldot, it may
have been for this very reason that Yitzchak had originally
intended to bless Eisav, for he understood that in order to
establish a nation, the traits of an 'ish sadeh' are
essential, i.e. the qualities necessary to provide leadership
in worldly matters.  In contrast to his brother, Yaakov, the
'ish tam', certainly lacked this character.
     However, now that it had been divinely determined that
Yaakov was to be the only chosen son, one could suggest that
God found it necessary for Yaakov himself to develop those
traits as well.
     This may explain why upon his return to Eretz Canaan, God
intentionally initiates a direct confrontation between Yaakov
and Eisav.  [Recall from the fact that Rivka never sent for
him, it may be that Eisav is indeed still planning to take
revenge.]

  However, when we analyze Yaakov's apparent strategy - as he
prepares to meet Eisav (see 32:13-21), we find once again that
he was not quite ready for this direct confrontation.
     One could even suggest (as Rashbam does), that Yaakov's
original plan was to run away from Eisav, taking his own
family in one direction, while sending several 'staged'
messengers to Eisav as a decoy to 'slow his advance'!  If so,
then God's purpose in sending this ish to struggle with
Yaakov, was to stop him from running away - stalling his
retreat until Eisav arrives.
  And when Yaakov does see Eisav at dawn (after his struggle
with the 'ish'), again he plans 'capitulation' - bowing down
profusely before his brother - showing him that in reality, he
never received the blessing that he had tried to steal.
  [By bowing down to Eisav, Yaakov wishes to show his brother
  that the 'stolen blessing' of power and dominion over his
  brother ("hevei gvir le-achecha, yishtachavu lecha bnei
  imecha...27:29) was indeed awarded to Eisav.  Ironically,
  Yaakov resorts to trickery once again; this time to show his
  brother that his original trickery used to 'steal' the
  brachot was meaningless.]

REALISM OR LAZINESS
     Note how Yaakov's struggle with the ish takes place at a
very critical point in his life; i.e. after his preparation to
bow down to (or run away from) Eisav, but before the actual
confrontation.  Let's explain why this may be significant.
     A controversy exists among the commentators as to whether
Yaakov was correct in this total subjugation to his brother.
Some hold that Yaakov should have openly confronted his
brother while putting his total faith in God (see Rashbam on
32:29), while others maintain that due to the circumstances,
his timid strategy was appropriate (see Seforno on 33:4).
[Note how this 'hashkafic' controversy continues until this
very day!]
     Regardless of the 'political correctness' of his actions,
the situation remains that Yaakov is unable to openly confront
Eisav.  Nevertheless, God finds it necessary that Yaakov prove
himself capable of fighting, should such a situation arise in
the future.  Yaakov must now demonstrate that his subjugation
to Eisav stems from political realism rather than spiritual
laziness.  He must prove that, when necessary, he will be
capable of fighting.
  [Sooner or later in Jewish history, confrontations with the
  likes of Eisav will be encountered when establishing a
  nation.]

     Possibly for this reason, God must first 'test' Yaakov's
potential to engage in battle with his enemy before he meets
Eisav.  Yaakov finds this struggle difficult, for he is
untrained; the contest continues all night until the 'break of
dawn'.  [Possibly, night represents 'galut'; 'dawn'
redemption.  See Ramban 'al atar'.]  Although wounded and
limping, Yaakov emerges victorious from this confrontation,
thus earning his new name:
  "Your name shall no longer be Yaakov, but Yisrael, for you
  have fought with beings divine ('Elokim') and human
  ('anashim') and triumphed" (32:29).

  Thus, the name Yisrael may reflect the character of one
triumphant in battle.  Yaakov's new name is significant for it
reflects his capability to engage head on in battle.  In order
to become a nation, this trait - represented by the name
'Yisrael' - is crucial.
  Yet his name also remains Yaakov, for there may be times as
well when 'passiveness' will be the proper avenue.

WHY TWICE?
     For some reaons, receiving this 'new name' from this
mal'ach did not appear to be sufficient; for God Himself found
it necessary to later confirm that name - Yisrael, together
with his bechira, at Bet El (the very site where he was first
promised the bechira).  Thus, it appears as though the
blessings that Yaakov received throughout that entire episode
of his trickery must now be bestowed upon him properly (and
formally).
  First, God names Yaakov - 'Yisrael', symbolizing the traits
of worldly leadership (see 35:9- 10).  Afterwards, God
confirms the blessing that Yitzchak had given him (see 25:11-
12 / compare with 28:1-4).

     Note the obvious parallel between these two blessings:

 FROM YITZCHAK (before departing) /   FROM GOD (upon arriving)
              (28:3-4)                           (35:11-12)
	=================
===============

May "kel Shakai" bless you,        I am 'kel Shakai':
make you fertile and multiply,     Be fertile and multiply,
to become an assembly of peoples   An assembly of nations
May He grant you the -             shall descend from you...
     blessing of Avraham           The Land  I gave Avraham...
to you and your offspring         .to you and to your
offspring
that you may possess the Land      to come, I assign the Land.

     This comparison clearly shows that God's blessing to
Yaakov at Bet El constitutes a confirmation of Yitzchak's
blessing to him after the incident of the stolen brachot.
Hence, we may conclude that the name of Yisrael marks the
conclusion of the bechira process, as includes the necessary
character that Am Yisrael will require to later become God's
special nation.

THE FUTURE
     Although Yaakov's worldly traits may lie dormant for
several generations, it must be inherent to his character
before his bechira receives final Divine confirmation.
[Later, Yaakov will bless his two most able sons, Yehuda and
Yosef, with the leadership in this realm (see 49:8-26).]
     Throughout the rest of Chumash, the name Yaakov
interchanges with Yisrael.  This suggests that each name
reflects a different aspect of his character.  There are times
when 'Am Yisrael' must act as Yaakov, the ish tam, and there
are times when the more active and nationalistic
characteristics of Yisrael must be employed.  Ultimately, as
the prophet Ovadia proclaims, the day will come when:
  "Liberators shall march up on Har Zion to wreak judgement on
  Har Eisav; and the kingdom shall be that of God" (1:21).

     Based on this understanding of the significance of the
special name of Yisrael, one could suggest a reason for the
necessity of the 'bechira' process to continue one generation
past Yitzchak.  [Or re-phrased, why was it necessary for Eisav
to be rejected, given the importance of his worldly traits?]
     Our original assumption, that both the traits of an ish
sadeh and an ish tam are necessary in order to establish a
nation, remains correct.  Nevertheless, it is important that
they are not perceived as equally important.  As we explained
in our shiur on Parshat Toldot, the fundamental character of
Am Yisrael must be that of an ish tam (Yaakov).  Only once
that characteristic becomes rooted, the traits of an ish sadeh
can be added.  Had Eisav been included in Am Yisrael, our
perception of the relative importance of an ish sadeh may have
become distorted.  A disproportionate emphasis on
'nationalism' and strength - despite their importance - would
have tainted mankind's perception of God's special nation.

     In the formative stage of our national development, our
outward appearance as 'Yisrael' must stem from our inner
character as 'Yaakov'.  We must first speak with the 'voice of
Yaakov' (see Rashi 27:22), only then may we don the 'hands of
Eisav'.

                                   shabbat shalom
                                   menachem

======================
FOR FURTHER IYUN

A.  There is a Midrash telling us 'Yaakov avinu lo met' -
Yaakov never died.  Relate this Midrash to the fact that the
bechira process concludes with Yaakov, and that all of his
offspring have been chosen.  Relate this also to 49:33 in
comparison to 35:29 and 25:8.

B.  TOLDOT EISAV
     Yitzchak was chosen.  Therefore, we need to follow the
toldot of Eisav, just as we needed to follow the toldot of
Yishmael & Lot.
  Based on this assumption, explain perek 36.
  Based on the above shiur, why do you think there is an
emphasis on the kings who ruled in Edom before a king ruled
over Bnei Yisrael (see 36:31)!

C.  BRIT MILA & GOD'S BLESSING TO YAAKOV
     A quick analysis of God's final blessing to Yaakov at Bet
El (35:9-15) immediately shows that it is reflective of brit
mila (Breishit perek 17).  The name of Kel Shakai; 'pru u-
revu'; 'kehal goyim & melachim'; 'shem Elokim'; and the
concept of 'lihiyot lecha le-Elokim' can all be found at brit
mila.  Note that the bracha of brit mila which began in perek
17 with Kel Shakai telling Avraham 'hithalech lefanai - ve-
heyeh tamim' is being given now to Yaakov - the ish tam.
Try to explain the significance of this.

     Carefully compare Yitzchak's bracha to Yaakov before he
departs to Padan Aram (28:3-4) to God's blessing of Yaakov at
Bet El (35:9-13)!  Note that they are almost identical.
     Relate this to the last two shiurim.
      Note that God's name 'be-shem Havaya' does not appear
unto Yaakov from the time that he arrives in Eretz Canaan!
Note also God's promise to Yaakov at Bet El, before he left to
Padan Aram, (28:13-15) which was given be-shem Havaya.  Are
any aspects of that bracha repeated in Bet El when Yaakov
returned?  If so, which?
      Note the single use by Yaakov of shem Havaya in his
prayer prior to his confrontation with Eisav (32:9-12).  What
promise does he remind God of at that time?  Where is the
source of that promise.
     Relate to the relationship (be-shem Havaya) between brit
bein ha-btarim, the bracha at the akeida, and this tefilla.
Note - 'kochvei ha-shamayim' and 'asher lo yisafer me-rov'.
     How does this relate to the nationalistic aspect of these
revelations, i.e. the concept of 'yerushat ha-aretz'.
     Could one consider from a nationalistic perspective that
even though Yaakov returned from Galut Aram, his stay in Eretz
Canaan was only a short stopover on his way down to Galut
Mitzrayim?
Relate this to 'arami oved avi, va-yered mitzrayim...'
(Devarim 36:3-10).  Compare the language there to brit bein
ha-
btarim!
Why do Chazal interpret this pasuk as referring to Yaakov?
Could the fact that Yaakov understood that the time for the
fulfillment of brit bein ha-btarim had not yet come, explain
his timid behavior when he confronts Eisav?