[Par-reg] Reay - shiur #2 - [from last year]

Menachem Leibtag tsc at bezeqint.net
Fri Sep 2 06:07:10 EDT 2005

This week's TSC shiurim are dedicated by:
  Jonathan and Heidi Nathan - in honor of
  the birth of their son - Efraim Chanoch!

     THE TANACH STUDY CENTER [http://www.tanach.org]
          In Memory of Rabbi Abraham Leibtag
     Shiurim in Chumash & Navi by Menachem Leibtag

          PARSHAT  RE'AY  - Part Two

     Bad influences?  Surely we should stay away from them,
but how do we identify them?  In Parshat Reay, we find an
example of how the Torah deals with this problem, as Bnei
Yisrael prepare to enter the land.

INTRODUCTION
     Our previous shiur on Parshat Re'ay, discussed how
"ha'makom asher yivchar Hashem" - emerged as its primary
topic. Even though this holds true for chapters 12 and 15,
chapters 13 and 14 appear to form a digression from this
topic.
     To illustrate how the topic of 'bad influences' is
sandwiched with the topic of "ha'makom asher yivchar", the
following table summarizes the main topics of the Parsha:

* HA'MAKOM ASHER YIVCHAR HASHEM
12:1-19 - Establishing the Bet ha'Mikdash as the national
center
12:20-28 - Permission for eating meat outside of that center

* BAD INFLUENCES
12:29-31 - Don't seek after the gods of the nations of Canaan
13:2-6   - Don't follow the instructions of a false prophet
13:7-12  - Don't follow a family member who may lead you
astray
13:13-19 - Ir ha'nidachat - when an entire city goes astray
14:1-21  - Misc. dietary laws (what one cannot eat)

* HA'MAKOM ASHER YIVCHAR HASHEM
14:22-27 - Eating "maaser sheni" (there) in years 1,2,4,& 5
14:28-29 - Giving this "maaser" to the poor in years 3 & 6
15:1-18  - The laws of "shmittah" for the 7th year
15:19-23 - Bringing the 'first born' to "ha'makom asher..."
16:1-17  - Celebrating the "shalosh regalim, ba'makom
asher..."

====

     As you most probably have guessed by now, in our shiur we
will search for a theme that ties all of these topics
together.

FOUR 'BAD EXAMPLES'
     To begin our shiur, we must first explain why we
categorized all of the topics in chapter 13 as 'bad
influences'.
     Note how each topic relates to a certain warning that
'somebody else' will not lead you astray towards following
other gods.
     First we find a warning against following the gods of
your 'non-jewish' neighbors (12:29-31).  Then we are warned
not to follow a charismatic leader (be he a 'prophet' or
'dreamer'), even if he performs a miracle, should he suggest
that we worship a different god (13:2-6).  Afterward, we are
warned against following a family member or close friend who
may secretly suggest that we worship a different god.
Finally, as a society, we are warned not to allow an entire
town to go astray; and if so, that entire town must be
destroyed.
     Note how we find examples of influences from:
a) society at large, i.e. our global community
b) our leaders, either religious or lay
c) our family and close friends
d) our city, i.e. our local community

     These laws are followed by a lengthy list of dietary laws
in 14:3-21.  Note however that the reason for keeping these
laws is given both at the beginning and end of this unit, in
14:2 and 14:21 - for you are an "am kadosh l'Hashem elokecha"
- a designated [holy] nation for your God - hence you must
separate yourselves from them.
     Even though the Torah does not explain HOW these laws
accomplish this goal, we know quite well from our daily life
how the laws of "kashrut" severely limit our cultural contact
with people of other religions.  Therefore, we find yet
another example of how the laws of the Torah protect us from
the influences of those who may lead us towards following
other gods.

     With this in mind, we must now consider the connection
between this unit of 'bad influences' and the primary topic of
"ha'makom asher yivchar Hashem".

INFLUENCES - GOOD & BAD
     When we consider the purpose of "ha'makom asher yivchar
Hashem", i.e. the establishment of the city of Yerushalayim
and the Bet ha'Mikdash as the nation's vibrant cultural and
religious center, we find yet another example of what will
influence the society of Am Yisrael, this time from the
positive aspect.
     In other words, Parshat Re'ay discusses all types of
influences that will shape the nature of society (as Bnei
Yisrael prepare to enter the land). First and foremost, by the
establishment of "ha'makom asher yivchar Hashem" and the
requirement that every jew frequent that site and eat his
"maaser sheni" in Yerushalayim, we assure the proper
development of Am Yisrael as an "am kadosh l'Hashem".
     By warning against bad influences, the Torah attempts to
make sure that the fabric of that society won't crumble.

     In Parshat Shoftim, we will find additional examples of
what will provide a 'good influence' upon the nation. The
Torah will discuss the judicial system, the priesthood, and
the various other institutions of political leadership in
their ideal form.

                         Till then,
                              shabbat shalom
                              menachem