[Par-reg] Parshat Masei - shiur

Menachem Leibtag tsc at bezeqint.net
Wed Aug 3 11:44:39 EDT 2005

*
     THE TANACH STUDY CENTER [http://www.tanach.org]
          In Memory of Rabbi Abraham Leibtag
     Shiurim in Chumash & Navi by Menachem Leibtag
*

                        PARSHAT MAS'EI
               The Borders of the Land of Israel
     What are the precise borders of the Land of Israel?
     From the story of Bnei Gad & Reuven in Parshat Matot
(chapter 32), it seems as though the borders of Israel are
rather 'expandable', while in Parshat Mas'ei (chapter 33)
they
appear to be quite fixed.  In the following shiur, we
examine
the biblical roots of this complicated topic.

INTRODUCTION
     Two clichיs, both based on psukim in Tanach, are
commonly
used to describe the expanse of the borders of the Land of
Israel:
     (A) 'from the Nile to the Euphrate'
     (B) 'from Dan to Beer Sheva'

     The discrepancy between these two borders is immense!
According to (A), Eretz Yisrael encompasses almost the
entire
Middle East, while according to (B), Israel is a tiny
country
not much bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
     So which clichי is more 'correct'?

THE BORDERS IN PARSHAT MAS'EI
     We begin our study with chapter 34 in Parshat Mas'ei,
for
it contains what appears to be a very precise description of
the borders of the Land of Israel:
  "And God spoke to Moshe saying: Command Bnei Yisrael and
  tell them, when you enter Eretz Canaan, this is the land
  which shall become your inheritance - Eretz Canaan
  according to its borders.  Your southern border, from
  Midbar Tzin... " (see 34:1-13).

     Over the centuries, many attempts have been made to
identify each location mentioned in this chapter.  In regard
to the eastern and western borders, i.e. the Mediterranean
Sea
(34:6) and the Jordan River (34:11-12), there really isn't
much to argue about.  In regard to the southern border, most
commentators agree that it follows a line from the southern
tip of the Dead Sea until El-Arish, i.e. slight south of the
Beer Sheva-Gaza line in the northern part of the Negev.
  However, in regard to the northern border, we find a
variety
of opinions:
     The 'minimalist' opinions identify the northern border
in
the area of today's Southern Lebanon, i.e. along the Litani
River - until it meets the Metulla area (what used to be
called the 'good fence').   On the other hand, the
'maximalist' opinions identify the northern border somewhere
up in Turkey and Northern Syria.

THE EASTERN FRONTIER
  To complicate matters, the 'eastern border' of the Land of
Israel presents us with another problem.  Even though
Parshat
Mas'ei states explicitly that the Jordan river forms the
eastern border of Eretz Canaan, the 'deal' that Moshe
Rabbeinu
makes with 'bnei Gad u-bnei Reuven' (see 31:1-54) clearly
indicates that that it is possible to expand this eastern
border to include what is known today as Transjordan.
     As you review that story, note how Moshe Rabbeinu
grants
the area of Transjordan to the tribes of Gad, Reuven, and
Menashe as their official inheritance - even though it's
only
on the condition that they fulfill their vow to help
everyone
else conquer the western bank!  [The fact that this area
indeed becomes their 'official inheritance' can also be
proven
from Yehoshua chapters 13->14, and 22.]
               ====

  So why are the borders of Eretz Yisrael so ambiguous?  Are
they vast or small?  Are they fixed or expandable?  Are
certain parts of the 'Holy Land' holier than others?
     To answer this question, and to understand why this
topic
is so complicated, we must return to Sefer Breishit and
carefully examine the psukim that describe the land that God
promised to the Avot.

THE LAND PROMISED TO AVRAHAM AVINU
     Recall from Parshat Lech Lecha, that when God first
chose
Avraham Avinu to become His special nation, at that same
time
He also promised him a special land.  [See Breishit 12:1-7.
See also Breishit 13:14-17, 15:18, 17:7-8.]
  [If you'd like to see additional sources regarding the
  promise of the Land to our forefathers, see Breishit
  22:17-18, 26:2-5, 28:3-4, 28:13-14, 35:11-12, 46:1-4,
  48:4 & 21.]

     In God's first three promises to Avraham, note how He
describes the land in very general terms, without any
precise
borders.  For example:
 1)  In Ur Kasdim:
  "Go forth from your native land & from your father's
  house to the land which I will show you" (see 12:1).
 2)  At Shchem:
     "I will assign this land to your offspring" (see 12:7).
 3)  At Bet-El:
  "Raise your eyes and look out from where you are... for I
  give all the land which you see" (see 13:15).

     However, later on in Parshat Lech Lecha, when Avraham
Avinu enters into two covenants ['britot'] with God
concerning
the future homeland of his progeny, we finally find a more
detailed definition of the land.  However, as we will now
show, each covenant appears to describe a different set of
borders!

1)  At BRIT BEIN HA-BTARIM: / 'HA-ARETZ'
     Let's begin by quoting the pasuk in 'brit bein
ha-btarim'
where God promised the Land to Avraham, noting how it
details
the borders:
  "On that day God made a covenant with Avraham, saying: to
  your offspring I assign this land, from the river of
  Egypt [the Nile] to the river, the river Euphrates, the
  Kenites, Knizites ...(the ten nations)"    (Breishit
  15:18-20).

     The land defined by these borders is immense!  It
extends
in the northeast from the Euphrates River that flows from
northern Syria to the Persian Gulf, and in the southwest
from
the sources of the Nile River in Ethiopia down to the port
city of Alexandria!  [Undoubtedly, this covenant is the
source
for the popular phrase 'from the Nile to the Euphrates'.]

2)  At BRIT MILA: / 'ERETZ CANAAN'
     Two chapters later in Sefer Breishit, we find how God
enters yet another covenant with Avraham, and once again He
mentions the land as part of that covenant, yet its
description is quite different:
  "And I shall establish My covenant between Me and you,
  and your descendants... and I assign the land in which
  you sojourn to you and your offspring to come, all the
  land of Canaan,..., and I shall be for you a God" (see
  17:7-8).

     Note how according to this covenant, the 'promised
land'
is much smaller.  Although this is the first time in Chumash
where we find the expression Eretz Canaan, the borders of
Canaan, son of Cham, have already been described in Parshat
Noach:
  "And the border of the Canaani was from Sidon (the Litani
  valley in Lebanon) down the coastal plain to Grar and
  Gaza, [and likewise from Sidon (down the Syrian African
  Rift)] to Sdom, Amora... [area of the Dead Sea]"
                           (see Breishit 10:19).
  [Note that this is the only border which is detailed in
  the genealogies of Breishit chapter 10, most probably
  because it is needed as background information to later
  understand Parshat Lech Lecha!]

     This biblical definition of Eretz Canaan correlates
(more
or less) with the general locale in which the forefathers
sojourned - 'eretz megurecha' (see 17:8).  In the various
stories in Sefer Breishit, we find how the Avot lived [and
traveled] in the area bounded by Beer Sheva and Gerar to the
south (see 21:22-33, 28:10, 46:1), and the area of Shchem
and
Dotan (37:12-17) to the north.  Further north, recall as
well
how Avraham chased his enemy as far north as Dan, in his
battle against the Four Kings (see Breishit 14:14)!